Saturday, September 8

Free At Last!

I had originally intended to actually put something up here relatively often, but moving tends to put my mood into somewhere along the lines of the 6th circle of hell, so, unfortunately, this place was neglected. Such is life.

But, the move is done. Somewhat...

I still have a storage unit somewhere near the old place with more of my junk that needs to get unloaded in the next few days, but other than that, it's done. The new apartment is nice. Soft carpets, nice air conditioning unit, and if I go outside on the porch, I have a lovely view of Best Buy across the main drag.

That big yellow tag sign thingy mocks me day and night, teasing me with their easy to acquire electronics, and beautiful audio/video equipment for slightly above MSRP. I shall have my vengeance upon you some day...soon...probably in the form of me throwing more money at your shiny yellow goodness, and crying myself to sleep on a plasma HD tv, that I really can't afford in the first place.

The apartment is a wreck. I never put stuff away as I move. I always get everything to where I'm going, then I worry about unpacking, arranging, and all that fun stuff. So, since I don't have the rest of my gear around, I have bookshelf laying in the living room, boxes of books lying against the walls, unpacked books stacked on the kitchen counter(hey, I needed the boxes), electronics strewn everywhere, and my computer running quietly in the corner, because I'm a computer addict and I have to have my fix.

Dad was kind enough to set me up with a couch. He had bought one a few months ago that never saw any use, so they replaced it, and it sat in his basement collecting dust. It's a nice little sleeper sofa that's actually fairly comfortable. The downside is, as much as I love the couch, and yes it's quite comfortable as a couch or a bed, I can't deal with sleeping on it on a regular basis. The bars dig into my thigh and I have a tendency to not be able to walk the next morning. Suffice to say, I was very happy when I got my bed set up, four days later.

That first night, sleeping in my own place, in my own bed, was some of the best sleep I have had in years. It took forever to get out of bed, because I just wanted to curl back up and pass out again, and sleep all day long. For the first time in a long time, I woke up with a smile on my face, regardless of all the debacle that's been "Jason's Moving Fiasco."

All of that fear I had originally, is slowly easing, only to be replaced by insecurity. Then again, I think most everyone that struggles financially has that same sort of sensation. Since I realized I needed to exhibit a little bit more discretion in my spending habits, and since I've started to actually act upon it, I might actually be able to afford it.

#1 - Cut the drinking back. No more $200 weekly bar tabs. I set a limit, and I hold myself to it, no matter how much I love killing my liver with more Guinness goodness.

#2 - Stop eating so much fast food. I spend upwards of almost $150 a week on food. That's just ridiculous. Go to the grocery store, young man. Fix a damned sandwich for crying out loud.

#3 - Lastly, and the worst, stop buying so much crap. Fewer video games, and fewer electronics in general.

If I can follow these 3 easy tenents, then I think I have a good shot of succeeding in this place.

Of course, the pay raise that I finally got approved for, should help out a little bit.

Housewarming soon. If you're out there, bring liquor, or a bottle of wine. No, I don't mean for myself, I need to start making a nice bar for guests.

No, really.

No comments: